Thank you, thank you, thank you, to each and every one of you for sending in pencils to be part of our project with Tangible Interaction! Next week we fly out to Barcelona for the Internet Age Media festival and we’ll be using hundreds and hundreds of your pencils, mailed in from around the world, to build a sculpture out there. Stay tuned for updates!
Heads up for those in Vancouver! Tomorrow (Saturday March 14th) 2pm-4pm, we will be at Collage Collage (621 Kingsway) making pencils and you’re all invited! Kids, adults, and everyone in between! We will have pencils and art supplies there so you can just show up! It’s FREE. Come hang!
Today from 11am to 2pm I’ll be at the Juice Truck shop (5th and Ontario) decorating pencils with anyone who wants to join me! Feel free to bring a pencil and art supplies or just show up without anything as I’ll have a ton of pencils, felts, paint, xacto blades, wood burners – whatever you want.
FYI – Anyone who mails pencils this week is eligible to snag one of three copies of the first-ever Booooooom book (I was given a few advanced copies, the book comes out in a couple months)! Include your mailing address when you email in your photo.
If you haven’t heard, we’re working with Tangible Interaction to build a collaborative sculpture in Barcelona for the IAM INTERNET festival. We’re using 3D-printed connectors to build a sculpture out of pencils mailed in from around the world. We want you to be a part of it!
1. Get a new or used pencil. The pencil can be round or hexagonal but should be standard width (if the pencil is too thick it will not fit our connectors) .
2. Use felts, paint, x-acto knife, whatever you want to decorate/personalize it. Include your name and city somewhere on it.
3. Photograph yourself holding your pencil. This part is optional but we would love to have a gallery of portraits of all the contributors.
4. Email your photo to: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and full mailing address (if you wanna be eligible to snag a book).
5. Mail your pencil (you can send as many as you like) to:
304 – 1000 Parker Street
Vancouver BC V6A 2H2
Attn: Andres Colmenares
Carrer Sant Gervasi de Cassoles 37
6-3. 08022, Barcelona, Spain
Deadline for pencils is March 16th.
Studio Markunpoika (Tuomas Markun Poika) is producing vases made out of hundreds of pencils in a series called “Amalgamated”. The writing utensils are treated as raw materials, glued together, and shaped with a lathe. There is something so satisfying about watching the video below!