I’m excited to announce Booooooom’s next open collaborative art project is a partnership with Vancouver-based interactive studio Tangible Interaction, and will result in an installation in Spain!
We are calling this piece LINE SEGMENTS.
In March, I’m heading to Barcelona for a creative conference called Internet Age Media Weekend where I will be speaking alongside people from It’s Nice That, Nowness, Google, Nike, Creative Applications, Vimeo, and many others. Alex, from Tangible Interaction, and I wanna build a sculpture there – with your help! This is an open call to all Booooooom readers, and people all over the world!
If you would like to be an integral part of this project, we are asking for pencils! Specifically, a pencil with your name and city written somewhere on it, and a photo of your holding your pencil.
We are 3D-printing special connectors (3 kinds) that will allow visitors to the gallery space in Barcelona to use pencils to build an abstract sculpture.
Our vision for this project is to allow the visitors to decide what form our sculpture takes. The connectors we have built will allow the pencils to connect to one another in an infinite number of variations, creating an organic, web-like shape. We thought it would be fun to kinda flip the idea of pencils; rather than producing lines, the pencils will actually be the lines.
Ultimately, the piece is about connecting people all over the world, using the simplest tool for art-making. Watch the video above to get a better idea what this will look like!
After our week-long residency is over the sculpture will be dismantled and all the pencils will be donated to an art-related program in Barcelona.
We would love to have as many people involved as possible so please pass this along to anyone you think would be interested!
1. Send a standard size new or used pencil (you can send in as many as you like). The pencil can be round or hexagonal but if the pencil is too thick it will not fit our connectors.
2. Write your name and city somewhere on your pencil and decorate/personalize it. Use felts, paint, carve a design into it, whatever you want to make your pencil stand out!
3. Photograph yourself holding your pencil, before you mail it in. We want to have a slideshow of every person who contributed a pencil to our project projected in the gallery space alongside the ever-changing sculpture. If you’re a shy person you can always use the pencil to obscure your eyes or face; we really want to encourage you to send in a photo of yourself. It will be amazing to see all the different people that helped create the sculpture.
4. Please email your photo to: email@example.com with your NAME and CITY in all capital letters.
5. Please mail your pencil (you can send as many as you like) you have two options to send:
304 – 1000 Parker Street
Vancouver BC V6A 2H2
Attn: Andres Colmenares
Carrer Sant Gervasi de Cassoles 37
6-3. 08022, Barcelona, Spain
If you live in Barcelona, we encourage you to bring a pencil to the gallery space with you and add it to the sculpture yourself! Internet Age Media Weekend tickets are available here (100€ discount code for Booooooom readers is: P3NC1LS).
We will be shooting a week-long time-lapse of the sculpture as it grows and changes shape, so everyone will be able to see what their pencils became. I hope you guys will join in on the fun! We can’t do this without you!