You chose Andrew Lawandus! Congratulations Andrew, your design will now be made into a Poketo wallet! I also promised that we’d give away a wallet to a voter but since so many of you voted we decided to give away 5 wallets instead! The 5 winners are:
Each of you has a message from me in your inbox! The wallets still have to be produced as we need the artwork from Andrew but rest assured you will all get your wallets sent to you once they are made! I should mention these people were chosen at random using a painstakingly difficult process I invented myself in which I manually copy/paste every single voter name into Word, assign each a number, and generate 5 random numbers using random.org.
A giant thank you to everyone for getting involved, making designs, and leaving positive comments on the submissions!
Stay tuned for the next project!
Last month we launched our “Before Life” project with Poketo and we finally have our finalists but we need your help to choose which one to make into a wallet! Oh yeah, everyone who votes is eligible to win one of the wallets!
We received nearly 300 submissions so narrowing them down was not easy! I picked my favourites, the Poketo team picked theirs, and after some arm wrestling we were left with these 5 designs:
FINALIST #1 – Jessica Fortner (see larger design here).
FINALIST #2 – Jake Pauls (see larger design here).
FINALIST #3 – Heiko Xylophone (see larger design here).
FINALIST #4 – Andrew Lawandus (see larger design here).
FINALIST #5 – Alice Maca (see larger design here).
VOTE HERE: facebook.com/booooooom
Poketo will produce 50 pieces of the winning design to be sold alongside the works of 200 other international artists. The winner gets 20 of the 50 limited edition wallets to keep and one of you voters snags a wallet too!
Voting ends Wednesday 9pm PST.
JOSH HOLINATY INTERVIEW
I think I could live in Edmonton if summer lasted from January until December, how do you like living there?
It’s great, really. Aside from the long winter, out summer is incredibly beautiful. The river valley, the music fests, etc. Also, there is an incredible arts scene here that is hyper embracing. Everyone – from art, music, burlesque, film – just hangs out all the time. Everyone is always in a state of collaboration in a very DIY sense. There’s a stigma that Edmonton has ‘no scene’ because it doesn’t have a full on art college or something like that. But in the end it only drives people really hard to want to do their own thing – and the results are obvious. Zines. Garage rock. Public Art. In the past few years there’s been a serious blossoming in this town.
WINNIE TRUONG INTERVIEW
If I could only eat a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner in Toronto where should I go?
I’d urge you to go to Saving Grace in Little Portugal and brave the wait for breakfast, brunch and lunch, it’s just that good there. Dinner is a two-parter: you should go to Mandarin at Yonge and Eglinton and gorge yourself on all-you-can-eat chinese food, then head a block up the street to the movie theatre (half price on tuesdays) and enjoy that hard-earned food coma.
This is a chance for you to design a wallet and add your name to the impressive list of artists who have worked with Poketo! An open call for submissions like this is a first for them and we’re happy to be a part of it!
So here’s what you have to do (READ CAREFULLY):
1. CREATE! Design what you think “Before Life” was like. What did the world look like before we all got here? Did it have a lot of color? Did it ooze with neon? Did that primordial sludge really look quite handsome? You let us know!
2. DESIGN! Your design must be 300 DPI, 8.75″ width x 4″ height. But, DO NOT submit the hi resolution version. Make a low resolution version JPEG(no more than 1MB) for submission. If your design wins the contest, you will need to send us the hi resolution version later.
3. SUBMIT! Post your low resolution submission on Poketo’s Facebook Wall. Multiple submissions per artist are allowed. In the post title, write “Poketo x Booooooom Wallet Contest”. You have until July 3, 2011 to post your designs!
4. VOTE! We’ll post a gallery of selected submissions on Booooooom’s Facebook Wall and let you guys vote and help decide which design gets the top prize.
5. THE PRIZE! Winner will be announced on July 12, 2011. Poketo will produce 50 pieces of the winning design to be sold alongside the works of 200 other international artists on poketo.com. On top of props from both Booooooom and Poketo, the winner also gets 20 of the 50 limited edition wallets to keep. How’s that for bragging rights?
Don’t forget: Deadline for submissions is July 3, 2011. Post your wallet design on facebook.com/poketo. If you have any questions, post a comment here. Good luck and happy designing!
ANDREA WAN INTERVIEW
Hello Andrea, where are you right now?
I’m sitting in front of my glowing rectangle at my semi-messy desk.
You and I both got our degrees studying film at Emily Carr and I’m doing nothing film related at the moment, do you have plans to make a film? Maybe an animation?
I don’t have plans to make a film at the moment but I’m open to working with all kinds of mediums and projects. I have a lot of respect for filmmakers, because I understand how difficult and time consuming it can be. Making another animated film would be fun, but it would be even nicer if I have someone to help me on the actual animation part!
I loved that animation you made in school! I guess I asked because when I look at your drawings now I like to imagine what sounds would accompany them.
I’ve never heard anyone say that about my drawings before but that’s an interesting way to look at it! I think if my characters have sounds they’d whisper… with their voices overpowered by the sound of the landscapes.