A selection of photos from “Confessions for a Son”, a series by San Francisco-based photographer McNair Evans. More images below.
Painting by Joao Ruas
Drawing by Fumi Mini Nakamura
Painting by Joanne Nam
The 4th Annual Supersonic Invitational group show opens tomorrow, Saturday, January 10th at Spoke Art Gallery in San Francisco. The show features new work from over 60 international artists, curated by Zach Tutor. The same Zach Tutor that is guest contributing for us right now (see his posts so far). He’s way too humble to post about his own show, so I’m doing it for him! If you live out that way, definitely go check it out, it’s gonna be fantastic.
Mount Gay has launched a series called “The Original Spirits” highlighting artisans and craftsmen who make things the good old fashion way; with their bare hands. The videos celebrate these individuals and draw parallels to the brand’s own handcrafted history of rum-making in Barbados.
This episode features James Tucker, co-founder of the celebrated San Francisco-based letterpress studio, The Aesthetic Union. In the video Tucker works on a woodcut and makes a print on a hand fed, foot treadle operated, press from 1910. Watch the video below.
Renowned Japanese artist Usugrow is releasing a book with Upper Playground, and will be signing copies at their San Francisco location this Sunday. The artist is also busy finishing work for his solo show “Inkflow” opening at Fifty24SF Gallery on October 4th. He might be my favourite letterer of all time. Have a look at some more process images below.
In case you somehow missed it, we’ve officially launched our latest project, “Drawing On The Past”. I produced a special bag with my friends at Herschel Supply and we’re releasing it as part of an art project open to anyone!
This drawing above is from Zach Tutor, the talented guy behind Supersonic Art. The person, place, or thing that’s positively affected his life is the city of San Francisco. Not only was it the catalyst for starting his blog in the first place, it gave him a best friend, and a girl friend! So what is it for you? I wanna know who or what has helped shape who you are today.
If you’d like to submit a drawing to this project, I’d love that! We’ll be giving away some Herschel products to people who submit and three of our favourite submissions will receieve the very limited Herschel Supply x Booooooom bag.
1. Download THIS TEMPLATE, print it off on any 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
2. Draw your picture, write a few sentences below it.
3. Scan the entire page and email it to: email@example.com with the subject “DRAWING ON THE PAST”. Deadline: August 4th, 2014. Works submitted digitally will be displayed on Booooooom.
4. To be eligible to be for the gallery show, you must physically mail in your original drawing. We must receive all entries by August 4th, 2014, leave enough time for shipping. Due to the number of potential submissions, drawings will not be returned. Mail your drawings to:
Suite 357 – 2416 Main St.
Vancouver, BC, V5T3E2
5. Share your work on Instagram and use the hashtag #drawingonthepast